The Council on Advocacy represents the interests of dental students on legislative and regulatory issues that impact the dental profession. The council launches grassroots initiatives in support of dental students and the profession and works to establish a legacy of action-oriented advocacy on behalf of our members' patients and the practice of dentistry.
Download the Council on Advocacy and LGN Handbook (PDF).
Recent accomplishments of this council:
- Tracked Stafford Loan legislation in 2013; sent action alert asking members to write congressperson urging them to support, generated nearly 900 letters to Congress from dental students.
- Increased State Lobby Day Grant funding aimed to encourage student involvement in state and lobbying efforts.
- Authorized funding to purchase Engage Action Alert software. Engage will allow ASDA to mobilize members to take action to influence both federal and state level policy effecting dental students and the practice of dentistry. Engage also provides necessary advocacy functions, such as a legislation tracker and a user-generated newsfeed.
- Changed name of Legislative Ledger e-newsletter to Advocacy Brief to better describe content. The expansion of content is intended to increase readership.
- Created new advocacy materials, such as the Federal Legislative Agenda, which was delivered to the 113th Congress to outline ASDA’s legislative and regulatory priorities in 2013.