Most dental schools require personal interviews with applicants to assess qualities such as self-confidence, ability to get along with people and ability to overcome challenges. This is your time to shine — and to ask questions about the school.
Setting Up the Interview
Every school’s interview process is unique. Talk to your pre-health advisor or contact the dental school directly to set up an interview.
How to Prepare
Know yourself. Explain your unique qualities that make you a good leader. Share your interests, including volunteer experiences or activities that have made you a well-rounded person. Balance honesty with being humble. Remember to mention the mentors who helped you along your way (and share what they taught you).
Know why you want to go to dental school. Be ready to clearly and confidently share why you are pursuing this profession in 2-3 minutes. Be sincere and passionate.
Know why School ABC is the best place for you. You may need to do some heavy research to feel confident in this answer. If you picked this school because of its well-respected professors, innovative curricula or specialty training, you need to convince the interviewer why this is the place for you.
Know a few key issues in dentistry. Utilize ASDA’s publications—Mouth, ASDA News, Word of Mouth and Advocacy Brief—to understand what is going on in your future profession.
Dress to impress. Men should wear a suit or a coat and tie. Women should wear a suit.
- Have you had any experience with dentistry?
- What differentiates you from the rest of the applicants?
- What other dental schools have you applied to?
- Have you interviewed at any other schools?
- What event has made the biggest impact on your life?
- We noticed you withdrew from a class, why?
- How would you rate your level of hand-eye coordination?
- Do you have any plans after graduation?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- How do you spend your free time?
- What would you say was the best day or experience you ever had?
- What would you like to improve about yourself?
Get more great interview tips from Jill Christie, associate, Tuft & Associates, in the video below.