Supervises content of association publications. Manages the Editorial Board and chairs all meetings. Serves as an ex-officio (non-voting) member of the board of trustees, which oversees all association activities, approves the annual budget and develops the association strategic plan.
- Must be an active predoctoral member at the time of application and throughout the term of office.
- Should serve at least one year as a contributing editor.
- Must be able to attend all required meetings (dates and locations are noted on the National Leader Meeting Schedule).
- Must be able to complete assignments and responsibilities by established deadlines.
- Must have demonstrated qualitative journalistic experience.
Must be able to attend each meeting noted below in order to be considered for the position.
- All board of trustees meetings
- ASDA Annual Session 2014
- Spring council and board of trustees meeting
- June Editorial Board meeting
- Fall council and board of trustees meeting
- ASDA Annual Session 2015
- Other meetings as assigned by the president
View all National Leadership Positions
- Exercises editorial discretion over the content of association publications; guides the content of all print publications and contributes to blog content that directly relates to print publications (e.g. ASDA News interview or Mouth article follow up).
- Maintains regular contact with each member of the Editorial Board and manages their assignments.
- Writes or delegates the writing of editorials, articles and other materials.
- Coordinates activities necessary for the acquisition of copy, acceptance of manuscripts and review of manuscripts when necessary.
- Monitors national, regional and local issues relating to dental student needs and interests.
- Identifies appropriate article topics and qualified authors.
- Identifies appropriate persons to review technical and scientific materials and determines criteria to use in reviewing scientific and clinical manuscripts.
- Identifies themes for issues, when appropriate.
- Determines criteria for content, authorship and number of editorials, as well as publication of letters to the editor and other opinion manuscripts.
- Achieves consensus among Editorial Board members concerning desired courses of action and recommendations and presents Editorial Board recommendations to the board of trustees for consideration.
- Mentors contributing editors and electronic editors to prepare them for editor-in-chief position.
- Presents a report at each board of trustees meeting.
- Serves as liaison to the American Dental Association editor-in-chief and staff editors.
- May be appointed to serve as ASDA’s representative to ADA councils.