Serves as a member of the Board of Trustees, which oversees the development and implementation of the association strategic plan and approves the annual budget. Represents the constituents of his/her district and serves as chair of the district caucus. Appoints national leaders and association award winners.
- Must be an active predoctoral member at the time of application and throughout the term of office.
- Must be able to attend all required meetings below.
- Must be able to complete assignments and responsibilities by established deadlines.
Must be able to attend each meeting noted below in order to be considered for the position. Click here for exact dates.
- All Board of Trustees meetings
- Spring Council and Board of Trustees meeting
- Fall Council and Board of Trustees meeting
- National Leadership Conference
- ASDA Annual Session 2016
- Maintains monthly contact with all delegates in the district to:
- monitor membership recruitment and retention activities
- communicate important national ASDA news through review of The Leader and Board meeting minutes
- offer assistance to each chapter as needed
- promote ASDA activities within the district
- identify candidates for ASDA leadership positions
- assess each chapter's status relative to the Ideal ASDA chapter award criteria by reviewing the chapter goals and the corresponding programs and activities
- inform new delegates about the Chapter Handbook, new chapter resources web page and all governance documents on ASDAnet.org.
- Plans and executes a district meeting.
- Organizes a district cabinet to assist with duties and projects within the district.
- Builds a relationship with his/her corresponding ADA trustee and other area leaders in organized dentistry. Attending state and local dental society meetings is one recommended means of building this relationship.
- Serves on ASDA councils and work groups as assigned.
- Participates in conference calls and visits with chapters within the district selected for the membership outreach initiative.
- Represents ASDA on all levels of the tripartite and at assigned organized dentistry meetings. May serve on ADA councils.
- Works with the legislative coordinator to successfully implement legislative initiatives.
- Serves as chair of the district caucus and conducts election for successor (if not a candidate) at national meetings.
- Communicates ASDA's strategic plan goals to delegates and members.
- Maintains regular contact with assigned Executive Committee liaison.
- Provides central office with the contact information for all delegates and district leaders and promptly communicates any changes.
- Regularly communicates with each delegate to learn about issues or concerns that should be brought to the attention of the Board of Trustees and staff prior to each Board meeting.
- Contacts district delegates and leaders to report on actions taken by the Board of Trustees following each Board meeting (a district newsletter and website is suggested for this purpose).
- Contacts all newly elected delegates, prior to their attendance at any national meeting, to review delegate responsibilities and meeting agendas.
- Attends local chapter meetings when possible for the schools in the district in order to better understand how each chapter is managed and to determine what level of support each school requires from the trustee.
- May serve on a reference committee during the House of Delegates business meetings.
- Submits a district report prior to each Board meeting, a year-end continuity report and a post-meeting report when representing ASDA at outside meetings.
- Provides content for association publications and media as requested.
View all National Leadership Positions