American Student Dental Association
MyASDA Login
The Issues
State Licensure Spotlight: Michigan

Dr. Aaron BumannDr. Aaron Bumann, Minnesota '13
2011-12 regional legislative coordinator

This content was originally published in the February 2014 issue of Advocacy Brief.

As an AEGD resident in Michigan, I will say that overall the system here is fairly simple. However, Michigan has multiple licenses for new grads depending on where you will be practicing. Download this PDF for dentist licensure instructions for the state of Michigan. In short, you will need to:

  • Send in a completed license application with payment
    • $50 for limited license (for residents)
    • $120 for practitioners
  • Apply for a controlled substances license, separate from your DEA authorization ($85)
  • Get fingerprinted for a background check
  • Send verification of any other state licenses that you hold directly to the Michigan Dental Board
  • Request that your school submit one official, final, dental school transcript to the Michigan Dental Board
  • Send your official report of NDBE scores to the Michigan Dental Board

If you are you applying for a license in Michigan as a resident the process is slightly different. Residents have a separate category in Michigan known as an Educational Limited License. You must have all of the information associated with the regular license as well as a letter from the program you will attend sent to the state board to verify your status as a resident. It is not a lot to ask but it can slow your licensure to a grinding halt if the state does not receive it. The best way to double check is to ask your program director if the letter was indeed sent to the state as the state is sometime slow to respond.

Michigan is a NERB state so if you have that in your tool chest you are in good shape. For everyone else you need to submit an official copy of your regional board scores. The Michigan State Dental Board will then review your submission individually and determine if they will accept your scores entirely or if you will need to supplement your regional board scores with the written part of NERB (you will not need to take the patient portion) on top of your exam to become licensed. For those of you that are thinking of the PGY-1 or OSCE options the bad news is that unless you have five years of practice in another state you will need to take the full NERB exam to be licensed.

Good luck and congrats. Your practicing life awaits! 

Find out about licensure in other states by visiting our licensure map.

Pacific Dental Services ADA Heartland Dental


© 2016 American Student Dental Association; Feedback? Contact Us
211 E. Chicago Avenue, Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60611  |  Phone 800-621-8099, ext. 2795 or Direct 312-440-2795  |  Fax 312-440-2820  |  Privacy & Security Policy