Photos are an important part of ASDA’s print and digital publications. ASDA is looking for authentic, print-quality images showcasing chapter and dental school activities to include in our communications. Please refer to the following guidelines when submitting your photographs.
Photos that don’t meet both the content and technical guidelines below will not be used.
ASDA publishes photos that enhance content related to dental student life. We are looking for photos of the following:
- ASDA chapter events (including fundraisers, physical activities, lunch and learns, advocacy events and more)
- Close-up photos of students together
- Dental students in school or the sim lab (also clinic, assuming all appropriate permissions are satisfied and patient anonymity is protected. You are responsible for securing permission for patients for the use of their likeness in your photographs.)
- Any fun or interesting photos that depict a day in the life of an ASDA member
We are also looking for:
- Diversity (in terms of the people represented, the settings, etc.)
- Action (students doing something)
- Captions describing each photo
Please send the highest quality/largest size image possible.
- Photos must at least 300 ppi.
- Largest possible file sizes are always recommended to produce the best results.
We recommend using a high-quality digital camera (like an SLR) and the highest quality setting when you shoot. Photos taken with your smartphone will not typically be of sufficient quality to include in print publications.
- Do not distort the image by applying photo filters or effects.
- Do not attempt to increase the size of an existing image using filters or software. This will not improve the quality or make it appropriate for printing.
- Do pay attention to framing, composition, lighting and focus.
- Avoid submitting photos that include corporate logos or artwork. ASDA-related logos and graphics are acceptable.
- Do not submit any pictures that contain nudity, violence, obscenity, profanity, illegal activity, or anything else that might be considered offensive in nature.
- Sign up for the ASDA photography pool list to receive occasional announcements and specific photo requests. ASDA may commission photos related to a story being developed for publication.
- You may also submit photos of your own choosing that meet all the requirements listed above. Not all submitted photos will be used.
- By uploading your photos to ASDA’s dedicated Dropbox, you give permission for ASDA to publish them in a publication of our choosing. You will receive credit for any photos ASDA publishes, but not financial remuneration. You may list ASDA’s inclusion of your photography on your CV.
Photo submission is a two-step process:
- Upload your photo to ASDA’s Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/request/P6s2okan0ZRQ2EekuLYI
- Send an email to Editor@ASDAnet.org with the following information:
- Your name, school and graduation year
- The name of your photo file
- The date you uploaded the file to Dropbox
- A detailed description of the photo, including when and where it was taken, names of persons, objects, buildings and locations that are visible in the image, etc. Provide first and last names for anyone in the photo (check for correct spelling).
- Accepted file types: .jpg, .png
- Naming your file: your file name should include your last name, chapter and one or two words describing the content. Ex. Smith-MidwesternAZ-advocacyluncheon.jpg