According to a 2013 ADEA survey, about 48 percent of dental school graduates go into private practice straight from school. It’s never too early to think about the kind of practice that fits you best. Many skills required to run a business are never taught in dental school, so you have to seek that information on your own.
One option is to get an MBA. The 2012 April issue of ASDA News features an article that compares your options for doing so while in dental school.
Starting a Practice
The 2014 summer issue of Mouth was about starting a practice. Here are some topics covered:
- Starting a practice 101
- How to start a practice right after graduation
- Infographic: how to open a dental practice
- 5 things I wish I'd known before starting a practice
Balancing Your Career and Your Life
The 2011 spring issue of Mouth was all about achieving a work/life balance. Flip through the issue for the following topics:
- Success stories from dentists who use athletics, philanthropy and even music as a way to add meaning to their careers.
- Tips on proper ergonomics
- A primer on building a successful business
- For hands-on training that is specific to your career in dentistry, ASDA created the National Leadership Conference. This conference has several tracks to address leadership in your chapter, as an associate or in your own practice.
- Dale Carnegie is one of America’s most famous self-improvement authors and businessmen. Pick up a copy of “How to Win Friends and Influence People” to drum up business and learn how to properly manage staff. For a more comprehensive experience, consider a Dale Carnegie training course.
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey is a leadership-training book that has become one of the best-selling business books of all time.
- “Emotional Intelligence” by Daniel Coleman looks at qualities such as self-control, persistence and motivation. The premise is that a higher EQ, rather than IQ, can develop through education and pave the way for management skills.
Technology for Your Practice
ASDA has published several articles on dental technology. Here are some good reads if you'd like to learn more about the topic:
ADA Center for Professional Success
The ADA Center for Professional Success features information tailored for new dentists. They frequently publish new information about managing your career, expanding your knowledge and balancing your life outside of work.
Your ADA member login is required to view the content on this site.
ADA Success Program
To help dental students prepare for life as a dentist, ADA Success offers a series of one-hour programs on topics most relevant to students today. Programs are presented by ADA member dentists or other subject matter experts, at no charge to students or dental schools. Programs topics include:
- Managing Debt and Wealth
- Future of Dentistry
- Practice Management for All Dentists
- All About Associateships
- Understanding Employment Agreements
- Finding a Job
- Ethics and Leadership in Dentistry
For more information or to schedule a program at your school visit ADA.org/successprogram or contact the ADA Office of Student Affairs at 312-440-7470 or firstname.lastname@example.org.