L-R: Jim Singletary, Kristianne Macaraeg, Chelsea Rajagopalan, Danielle Marciniak, Riley Schaff
The Council on Professional Issues serves the association as a resource on dental practice administration and professional issues, such as ethics, barriers to care and public health. The council also reviews ASDA’s Code of Ethics.
- ASDA Code of Ethics - The Council determined they would be responsible for advisory opinions and would defer to the Governance Work Group for recommended procedures. The Council suggested that the procedures be included in the CPI chair’s position description or other document to preserve for future councils.
- Taking Oral Hygiene Awareness to Rural and Underserved America grants - The Council agreed to improve the marketing of the grant to increase applicants. They supplied quotes and photos from past applications. The council will also include directives in the position description or other documents so future chairs know to request reports from the previous year’s applicants.
- Maternity leave/postpartum accommodations at schools - The Council presented a resolution to the ASDA House of Delegates about supporting the Academic Success and Professional Development of Pregnant, Postpartum, and Parenting Dental Students. It encourages all dental schools to enact written leave of absence policies and procedures for students who are pregnant, postpartum or parenting in accordance with Title IX of the US Education Amendments of 1972.
- LGBTQ matters and minority group resources - The Council developed a Diversity & Inclusion Resources webpage that features ASDA articles and initiatives that support diversity, including policy positions and publications. It also links to resources generated by other dental organizations that primarily focus on minority populations.
- Community involvement in the transition from dental school to practice - The Council discussed ways to highlight dentists in the community. Ideas included were testimonials, videos and blog posts that feature dentists and students who do community service outside of organized dentistry (i.e. a dentist started a soup kitchen). The Editorial Board agreed to feature these items.
2015-16 Council on Professional Issues Annual Report