Frequently Asked Questions
I want to register people from my chapter, but we haven't decided who to send yet. What should I do?
We realize that if a chapter wants to send D1s to the meeting, they probably don’t know who they are yet. Chapters can register current ASDA members for the meeting and make changes/substitutions to registration for free until Oct. 26.
Be sure to register by the Sept. 21 deadline. Contact Meghan@ASDAnet.org with questions or visit www.ASDAnet.org/NLC.
What’s the difference between this event and annual session or regional meetings?
This event is different than annual session because content is focused on building leadership skills rather than creating association policy. It is different from regional meetings because students from all schools are invited (not only by geographic regions). Like annual session and regional meetings, there will be dedicated time to learn about key issues in dentistry, to network with students from your district and to interact with organizations at an exhibit fair. The main goal, however, is to allow attendees to experience training in people management, public speaking and presenting, personal finance, practice negotiations, mentoring and other “soft skills.”
Will there be regional meetings in 2012?
No. There will be three national meetings each year – all with a different purpose – where ALL ASDA members are invited to attend. It’s important to send members from your chapter to each of these events: Annual Session, National Dental Student Lobby Day and National Leadership Conference.
Who can attend? Are only national or chapter leaders invited?
All ASDA members are encouraged to attend. This event is not limited to
current national or chapter leaders. There's something for everyone – from predentals, to first years, to established chapter leaders who will graduate soon. You do not need to hold a leadership position to participate.
Why should my chapter send people to this event?
- There will be dedicated time to learn about ASDA policy, association structure, available leadership positions and events.
- Chapter legacy is important. Send members to position-specific training to help your chapter remain strong through leadership transitions.
- Sessions will feature key issues in dentistry like licensure and student debt.
- There is an exhibit fair with 50+ organizations to network with and learn about advances in dental products and services.
- Attendees will also benefit from personal growth opportunities. Sessions include people management, public speaking and presenting, personal finance, practice negotiations, mentoring and other “soft skills.”
What does “create a customized schedule” mean?
There will be several general sessions related to networking and
motivation for all attendees. Other information will be presented
to smaller groups as part of the track programming. Each attendee can
select the track that interests him/her the most. You can participate in
one track or a variety of tracks based on your interests. Tracks
- ASDA & Organized Dentistry
- Career Planning & Business Leadership
- Advocacy, Politics & Professional Issues
- Chapter Leadership & Management
How do I pick or get assigned to a track?
There are no assignments. Choose which sessions you’d like to attend based on your interests or future roles you might play in ASDA. You can crossover from one track to another based on the session topics that interest you.
Do you have to participate in all sessions within a track?
Not at all. You are not required to stay in the same track for the
entire meeting. You can crossover from one track to another based on the
session topics that interest you. The tracks were created based on the
most popular sessions at other ASDA events, as well as topics that are
important to members. It’s merely a guide.
What does the registration fee include?
Both registration options (with hotel or without) include:
- More than 20 hours of leadership training presented by prominent speakers
- Admission to exhibit fair with 50+ companies
- Continental breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks on Friday and Saturday; continental breakfast on Sunday
- Social and professional networking opportunities
- Attendee tote bag with meeting program, jump drive with supplemental materials, and notebook
- Note: the hotel package includes a shared hotel room (arrive Thursday, depart Sunday)
Who plans the National Leadership Conference?
The planning committee consists of ASDA central office staff and several recently-graduated alumni members who have held ASDA leadership positions at the national level. The group develops the agenda, selects speakers and promotes the event to members. Members include:
- Nancy Honeycutt, executive director, NLC co-chair
- Dr. Ryan Dulde, 2010-11 speaker of the House, NLC co-chair
- Dr. Mike Meru, 2008-09 president
- Dr. Adam Shisler, 2011-12 president
- Danielle Bauer, director of membership
- Linda Cooper, meetings manager
- Cheryl Wilson, senior manager, marketing
- Meghan Keelean, program manager
E-mail Meghan Keelean, CMP, program manager, or
call her at 312-587-4111.
to the National Leadership Conference homepage.