American Student Dental Association
MyASDA Login
Member Resources:
Getting Licensed in the United States – Tips for International Dental Students
Getting Licensed in the United States –
Tips for International Dental Students

Many dentists and dental students educated outside the United States and Canada wish to obtain a dental license to practice in the U.S. To become licensed to do so, internationally-trained dentists must follow these steps:

  1. Determine the state(s) where you wish to obtain a license and contact the state board(s) of dentistry to obtain specific licensure requirements and a sample application. Visit for requirements by state.
  2. Take the NBDE Part I administered by the ADA Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE).
  3. Apply to an accredited dental education program with advanced standing to earn a DDS or DMD degree. The application and list of available programs can be found on ADEA’s CAAPID site.
  4. Following the completion of the educational program, take the NBDE Part II.
  5. Complete a clinical licensing examination administered by a state or regional clinical testing agency accepted in the state where you wish to be licensed.

Resources for Advanced Standing or IDP students

International Dental Student Membership in ASDA

International dental student membership is open to qualifying students currently enrolled in and attending an international dental school outside the United States and its possessions. Candidates must be a predoctoral student of a dental school listed in the World Directory of Dental Schools compiled by the FDI World Federation. Upon joining, members become a part of ASDA and the ADA and are entitled to all of the privileges of both join now organizations. International membership dues are $88 of which $5 goes to the American Dental Association for international dental student membership. Click here for a listing of member benefits.

International Dental Student Membership Application 

© 2014 American Student Dental Association; Feedback? Contact Us
211 E. Chicago Avenue, Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60611  |  Phone 800-621-8099, ext. 2795 or Direct 312-440-2795  |  Fax 312-440-2820  |  Privacy & Security Policy