How to Love the Heck out of Dentistry (Leadership Fundamentals)
Dr. Dawn Wehking, MAGD
Along with the fulfillment of joining a profession dedicated to healing others and unmatched autonomy comes a great deal of stress and uncertainty. This session will teach you how to reframe your thoughts to embrace the challenge ahead. We will discuss why it is important to 1) Get Good 2) Perfect your circle and 3) Enjoy the Struggle so that you can learn to Love the Heck Out of Dentistry.
Debt Management (Career Planning)
- Learn the importance of dedicating yourself to lifelong learning.
- Know how to surround yourself with the best dental team and friends.
- Learn to embrace the challenges ahead in your careers.
Jason DiLorenzo, Founder of Doctors Without Quarters, speaking on behalf of SoFi
The cost of a four-year dental education is consistently rising at an incredible rate. A young graduate’s student debt load can definitely affect their possible career decisions. Learn about how student debt fits into the greater dental landscape, and what you can do to manage your debt and thrive as a new dentist.
- How can general debt strategies apply to student debt.
- Review strategies on how to tackle student debt.
- Find out how to analyze debt repayment products and select one that fits your financial plan.
- Prioritizing focusing on financial management as a way to practice choice.
- Describe what ASDA and organized dentistry is doing to address the student debt issue.
Identifying and Overcoming Addictive Behaviors in Yourself and Others (Personal Development and Wellness)
Dr. Brett Kessler, past president, Colorado Dental Association
Addictive behaviors can affect nearly every aspect of your life — health, career, relationships. Identifying or admitting the problem is the first step in overcoming the addiction. But what are the next steps? In this session, learn how to identify behaviors that may be consuming you or a loved one in an unhealthy way, what can trigger addictive behavior and how to keep it in check.
- Discover how to identify unhealthy behaviors in yourself and others.
- Learn ways to address addictive behavior.
- Gain resources to help yourself, friends and family, or patients who may have an issue of addiction.
Effective Resource Management (ASDA Chapter Management)
Danielle Marciniak-Brambila, Roseman ’18, vice president
Whether leading your ASDA chapter or dental team, the tools of Crew Resource Management (CRM) used in naval aviation can help lead your team to success. This session focuses on the seven principles of CRM, which is used from naval aviation to NASA to diminish human error and improve teamwork. By implementing these principles, your chapter and future practice can run with more efficiency and success.
What to Expect Your First Year of Dental School (Predental)
- Learn how to gauge the strengths of your team.
- Be able to make executive decisions.
- Adapt to unexpected changes in executing plans.
- Delegate and coach your team members.
John Luke Andrew, Colorado '18, district 9 trustee
Roopali Kulkarni, Pennsylvania '19, district 3 trustee
Justine Bednarski, Ohio State '18, district 6 trustee
When predental students think about their first year of dental school, the words daunting, excitement, difficulty, stressful and enjoyable are what often comes to mind. However, do these words accurately describe the first year of dental school? This session will include three dental students sharing their experiences and insight on the expectations as first-year dental students. The speakers will cover topics on life inside and outside of dental school. After the speakers share their experiences, a Q&A session will be held so bring your questions on what D1 year is really like.
- Gain factual knowledge of what to expect in the first year of dental school.
- Understand and comprehend how the first year of dental school really functions based off three different dental student experiences.
- Learn how to best prepare for what’s to come once you begin your first year of dental school, which can lead to a more successful first year.