The Council on Professional Issues serves the association as a resource on dental practice administration and professional issues, such as ethics, barriers to care and public health. The council also reviews ASDA’s Code of Ethics.
- Andy Larkin, Arizona, chair
- Sydney Shapiro, Columbia, council associate
- Julie Vu, Washington, council associate
- Lindsey Janof, Boston, District 1 trustee
- Anna Hill Moses, Tennessee, District 4 trustee
- Kris Okoskey, ASDA Staff Liaison
- Nancy Honeycutt, ASDA Staff Liason
- Resolutions - The 2016 House of Delegates referred the following resolutions to the Council on Professional Issues: HOD 310 – 2016 Comprehensive Statement on Teledentistry, HOD 311 – 2016 - Hippocratic/Professional Oath. In response to this directive, the council prepared two resolutions and submitted to the Board of Trustees in January 2017. Both resolutions were adopted at ASDA's 2017 Annual Session. View the adopted resolutions here.
- Dentistry in the Community grants - The council is tasked with administering the Oral Hygiene Grant. The council reviewed the grant reports from the five winners in 2016. For 2017, the council revised the “Taking Oral Hygiene Awareness to Rural & Underserved America” to become the more all-encompassing “Dentistry in the Community” chapter program/event grant. The number of applications received by ASDA doubled this year.
- LGBTQ matters and minority group resources - The Council reviewed and proposed changes to the current Diversity & Inclusion Resources webpage.
2016-17 Council on Professional Issues Annual Report