The Governance Work Group reviews the ASDA governance documents to keep documents current. The work group also ensures that all ASDA documents are consistent with the governing documents.
- Vice President Brandon Rensch, Creighton, Chair
- Anisha Pandya, Boston, Speaker of the House
- Brenda Shah, New York, District 2 trustee
- Teal Smith, Indiana, District 7 trustee
- Keely O'Sullivan Kurtz, ASDA Staff Liaison
- The Governance Work Group (GWG) reviewed ASDA’s Memorial Award and recommended new criteria that focuses on chapter-level leadership contributions rather than district-level leadership. The Board adopted the amendments and changed the award’s name to Distinguished Leader Award.
- The GWG evaluated the Executive Committee Citation and recommended nominee criteria and eligibility requirements for the Executive Committee to consider.
- The GWG was tasked by the Board of Trustees to review and clarify the Paragon Award. The GWG proposed an amendment to modify the award’s nomination process by requiring three letters of recommendation, two from Board members and one from a dental colleague. The GWG further clarified the magnitude of the award by revising the application’s language to focus on the nominee’s significant contributions to organized dentistry on a national level.
- The GWG determined that ASDA’s leadership structure needed to be updated to define each leadership category and to clarify how leaders within each category further ASDA’s mission. To clarify the association’s leadership structure, the GWG recommended amendments to the governance documents.
2018-19 Governance Committee Annual Report
Note: national leaders are appointed to a one-year term on the Governance Work Group by the Board of Trustees. Applications are not accepted for these roles.