According to the American Dental Education Association (ADEA), the average debt per graduating senior is $287,331 (according to a 2017 survey). This high level of debt can jeopardize a new dentist’s ability to choose their preferred career path.
ASDA considers the growing student debt crisis a top priority and advocates for financially sustainable, long-term solutions. ASDA's F-4 policy states:
The American Student Dental Association encourages Congress and state legislatures to introduce and pass measures that include:
- Expansion of the tax deductibility of interest on educational debt, student scholarships and loan repayments;
- The reduction of student loan interest rates;
- Improved access to public service loan forgiveness programs;
- Loan forgiveness of tuition for dental students and residents practicing in underserved areas after graduation;
- Scholarship opportunities for dental students and residents practicing in underserved areas after graduation;
- Tax deductibility and rebates for dentists practicing in underserved areas;
- Prohibiting the compounding of interest during loan repayment and the capping of interest rates upon graduation;
- Strengthening regulations for the protection of private student loan borrowers
ASDA supports legislation providing tax exemptions for scholarships awarded to dental students under federal programs.
ASDA encourages state dental societies to make increasing state funding to dental schools a legislative priority.
ASDA encourages state dental societies to dedicate funding to scholarships for dental students.
What Has ASDA Done?
- On March 28, more than 400 ASDA members participated in ADA Dentist and Student Lobby Day. Attendees lobbied to include certain principles in the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. They urged lawmakers to consider measures that would alleviate the excessive burden of educational debt, allow for refinancing when interest rates change and remove barriers for dental students wanting to pursue careers in public service.
- Signed on to a coalition letter supporting the Student Loan Refinancing Act.
- Signed on to a coalition letter outlining principles to include in the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act.
- In just a few days, sent more than 200 letters to members of Congress urging them to co-sponsor the Student Loan Refinancing Act.
- Signed on to a coalition letter supporting the Student Loan Refinancing and Recalculation Act.
- Sent a letter to Congress urging the House of Representatives to extend funding for the National Health Service Corps (NHSC), Community Health Centers and the Childhood Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- Sent a letter to Congress urging the House of Representatives urging them to reconsider eliminating the student loan interest deduction proposed in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
ASDA keeps members informed on legislation that affects student debt through Engage, ASDA’s advocacy alert system, and the Advocacy Brief, ASDA’s monthly newsletter devoted to legislative updates.
Read what ASDA members are writing about student debt:
Resources to Help Manage Debt