ASDA Advocacy Molar Bear
ASDA’s mascot, the Advocacy Molar Bear, is ready to visit your chapter. Chapters that sign up will start receiving bears in late October. Upon receiving the bear, chapters are expected to do the following:
- Take a photo with the bear and a university logo or landmark
- Film a short video with the bear naming one thing you or your chapter has done to advance advocacy efforts this election year.
- Post the video to Instagram using #AdvocacyBear, #ASDAadvocacy and tag @dentalstudents
Mail the bear to the next participating chapter in the district by the established deadline. We hope that all chapters participate and that the bear makes it to each chapter by the end of November.
ASDA’s Advocacy Month contests will challenge students to engage with advocacy. Challenges will run from November 1 – 30, 2018. Chapter and individual challenge winners will be notified in early December and will receive prizes.
- The Populist Chapter Challenge – The chapter that receives the most social media likes on their advocacy event post will win this contest. Post a photo from your advocacy event on your chapter’s Instagram account, and include a short statement describing the event and who attended. Tag @dentalstudents, and use #ASDAadvocacy and #ASDApopulist. Make sure your page is set to public.
- I am a dental voter: ASDA wants you to get informed on the issues and vote. After you’ve voted, share a photo of yourself the “I voted” sign (available here) on Instagram along with a brief statement on why you choose to be a dental voter on Election Day. Your post must be dated on Nov. 6, 2018 and must tag @dentalstudents and include #ASDAadvocacy. The post with the most likes will be reposted on ASDA’s official Instagram account. Make sure your page is set to public.
- Advocacy Month political cartoon contest – Members will submit a political cartoon featuring their favorite advocacy-related pun. Cartoons should be submitted by November 16 as high resolution .jpg file, sized 2200px x 1150px. The Council on Advocacy will select a winner and two runners-up. Winners will be featured in ASDA publications and receive a prize. Submitted cartoons should be professional and appropriate. The Council on Advocacy will not consider any cartoons that contain explicit language or defame political figures.
Combating the Opioid Epidemic
November 13, 7:30 p.m. CDT
In 2016, opioids killed more than 42,000 people in the U.S., and 40% of those deaths involved a prescription pain reliever. Opioids aren’t only an issue for dentistry, they are a national epidemic. To help students effectively discuss and combat the crisis, this webinar will provide up-to-date opioid information and examine how experts from different fields are working together against opioids.