ASDA Advocacy Molar Bear
ASDA’s newest mascot, the Advocacy Molar Bear, is ready to visit your chapter. Chapters that signed up to participate will start receiving bears in late October. Upon receiving the bear, chapters are expected to do the following:
- Film a short video with the bear explaining why grassroots advocacy is important to them.
- Post the video to Instagram using #AdvocacyBear, #ASDAadvocacy and tag @dentalstudents
- Post other photos with the bear on campus using #AdvocacyBear and #ASDAadvocacy
Mail the bear to the next participating chapter in the district by the established deadline. We hope that all chapters participate and that the bear makes it to each chapter by the end of November.
ASDA’s Advocacy Month contests will challenge students to engage with advocacy. Challenges will run from November 1 – 30, 2017. Chapter and individual challenge winners will be notified in early December and will receive prizes.
- National Engage Competition – Engage is ASDA's action alert system that informs members about critical issues. It allows you to participate in the issues that impact your life as a dental student and your future dental career. The chapter that gets the most participation in November will win. Participation is measured as a percentage of (total unique emails/ total dental students at school). A unique emails refers only to the first time an email is sent per member per alert topic. If there are two active alerts on ASDA’s website, each member has the potential to send two unique emails.
- The Populist Chapter Challenge – The chapter that receives the most social media likes on their advocacy event post will win this contest. Post a photo from your advocacy event on your chapter’s Instagram account, and include a short statement describing the event and who attended. Tag @dentalstudents, and use #ASDAadvocacy and #ASDApopulist.
- Advocacy Month political cartoon contest – Members will submit a political cartoon demonstrating how large amounts of student debt can limit the way new dentists practice. Cartoons should be submitted by November 15 as high resolution .jpg file, sized 2200px x 1150px. The Council on Advocacy will select a winner and two runners-up. Winners will be featured in ASDA publications and receive a prize. Submitted cartoons should be professional and appropriate. The Council on Advocacy will not consider any cartoons that contain explicit language or defame political figures.
The panel comprises a public health dentist, a dental therapist and a community dental health coordinator. Each speaker will provide information on their place in the dental health care family. There will be an opportunity for attendees to ask questions after each panelist presentation.
The panelists are:
- Jodi Becker, RDH, ADT
- Dr. Burton Edelstein, professor of dental medicine and health policy & management, Columbia University Medical Center; chair, Section of Population Oral Health, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- MiQuel McRae, RDH, CDHC