The Speaker of the House of Delegates is elected by the House of Delegates at Annual Session to serve a year-long term. The speaker presides over the House of Delegates business meetings at Annual Session and serves as a non-voting member of the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, which oversees the development and implementation of the association strategic plan and approves the annual budget. It is highly encouraged that an applicant has served at least one year in a national leadership position.
Term Length: Annual Session 2021 - Annual Session 2022
- Must be an active predoctoral member at the time of application and throughout the term of office.
- Will complete projects or resolutions assigned by the House of Delegates.
- Must be able to attend all required meetings listed below and conference calls when necessary.
- Must be able to complete assignments and responsibilities by established deadlines.
- Experience serving in another national leadership position is strongly preferred.
- ASDA Annual Sessions, 2021 and 2022
- All Board of Trustees and Executive Committee Meetings
- Spring Council and Board of Trustees Meeting 2021
- Fall Council and Board of Trustees Meeting 2021
- ADA Annual Session 2021
- National Leadership Conference 2021
- May attend parliamentary procedure training
National leaders must be able to participate fully in council business via email, meet deadlines, and attend all council calls (whether it be virtual or in-person).
Meetings with an asterisk will be conducted virtually. You are still expected to virtually attend the meetings associated with your position. Please review the dates carefully before applying.
View a list of all national meetings.
If any meetings scheduled after July 2021 are to be held in-person, leaders will be given at least 30 days’ notice. Funding for required in-person meetings includes: transportation to/from meetings, meals, hotel accommodations, a per diem based on the length of the meeting and reimbursement for baggage fees.
House of Delegates management
- Instructs delegates about the rules and procedures of the House of Delegates.
- Informs delegates and members of the association about the actions taken in fulfillment of the directives of the resolutions adopted by the House of Delegates.
- Determines the order of business for each House of Delegates meeting.
- Appoints and coordinates reference committees and delegate reviewers at the House of Delegates.
- Coordinates Executive Committee and speaker elections at ASDA Annual Session.
Board of Trustees
- Monitors strategic plan goals.
- Provides feedback on the budget.
- Reviews quarterly financial reports and monitors progress.
- Provides feedback on the appointment of national leaders.
- Monitors the work of all council and committee members.
- Serves on Governance Committee.
Strategic relationships oversight
- Builds relationships with leaders in organized dentistry.
- Serves as official ASDA spokesperson when requested by the president.
- Serves as liaison to related allied, governmental and dental organizations and provides testimony on behalf of ASDA when called upon to do so by the president.
- Communicates ASDA's goals to trustees, chairs, delegates and members.
- Conducts, along with the Executive Committee, the executive director's annual performance review.