Term Length: Feb. 1, 2023- Jan. 31, 2024 (light Editorial Board work will continue through April 30, 2024)
- Must be an active predoctoral member at the time of application and throughout the term of office.
- Must be able to attend all required meetings listed below and conference calls when necessary.
- Will complete projects or resolutions assigned by the House of Delegates or Board of Trustees.
- Must be able to complete assignments and responsibilities by established deadlines.
- Experience serving on the Editorial Board is strongly preferred.
Estimated Time Commitment
90-minute virtual Editorial Board meeting every month. 30-minute check-in with ASDA staff every week. Estimated time commitment is 10-15 hours every month to recruit and communicate with student authors, edit and write articles, develop story ideas, track progress, and more.
- Virtual Editorial Meeting, Saturday, February 11, 2023
- Virtual Editorial Meeting, Saturday, February 25, 2023
- In-person Spring Council Meeting, April 1-2, 2023
- Virtual Fall Council Meeting, September 23-24, 2023
- In-person National Leadership Conference, October 20-22, 2023
- In-person ASDA Annual Session, February 23-25, 2024
National leaders must participate fully (whether it be virtual or in-person) in council business via email, meet deadlines, and attend all council calls.
Funding for required in-person meetings includes: transportation to/from meetings, meals, hotel accommodations, a per diem based on the length of the meeting and reimbursement for baggage fees.
- Exercises editorial discretion over association publication content.
- Writes or delegates the writing of editorials, articles and other materials.
- Identifies themes for issues.
- Monitors national, regional and local issues relating to dental student needs and interests.
- Works closely with staff to further ASDA’s publication strategy.
- Identifies appropriate article topics and qualified authors to establish a supply of copy for publication consideration.
- Develops criteria for content, authorship and number of editorials, as well as publication of letters to the editor and other opinion manuscripts.
- Coordinates activities necessary for the acquisition of copy and reviews articles.
- Writes and edits articles and other materials as assigned.
Editorial Board management
- Supervises the activities of the Editorial Board.
- Approves all council meeting agendas and minutes.
- Mentors Editorial Board members.
- Assists with orientation and transition of new Editorial Board members.