Week of Service
Every year, ASDA celebrates its commitment to community service and outreach. This year’s theme is “Serving Together, Six Feet Apart.” While serving our communities will look a little different this year, we encourage you to find ways to still make a difference as an individual in your community.
All members are encouraged to participate in ASDA’s Week of Service, January 25-31, 2021.
Use #ASDAWeekofService and tag @dentalstudents to keep up with other ASDA members on social media!
There are endless ways to serve your community safely or virtually.
How to participate in Week of Service 2021:
- Create oral health instruction materials and/or oral hygiene bags for homeless shelters or local schools.
- Knit or crochet panels that will be sewn together to create blankets for babies and adults through Warm Up America.
- Make hats for senior citizens, premature babies or the homeless.
- Make birthday cards for kids in homeless shelters.
- Sew masks for high-risk individuals.
- Foster a pet.
- Serve as a tutor for middle or high school students.
- Transcribe historical documents for the Smithsonian.
- Proofread e-books through Project Gutenberg.
- Help Harvard researchers learn the best ways to breakdown stereotypes by taking tests with Project Implicit.
- Help build or clean your community park or garden.
- Deliver a hot meal to someone in need.
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter.
- Collect or organize books for a local library.
- Write letters to seniors in local care facilities.
Refer to the Community Service how-to guide
for even more event ideas.
Chapter Coats and Cans Challenge
For the second year in a row, national ASDA is coordinating a challenge among all ASDA chapters to collect the most items of clothing and nonperishable food items! At the end of the challenge, all collected items should be donated to your local food pantry or homeless shelter.
If you need help finding your local food pantry or shelter, click here or here.
Start preparing now!
Share these graphics
- The challenge will run from Jan. 1-31, 2021.
- Share photos of your growing collection on social media using #ASDAWeekofService
- Chapter leaders will be sent a link at the end of the month to submit the total number of collected items.
- The chapter that collects and donates the most nonperishable food items will win a custom award and be recognized by National ASDA.
On social media, in clinic and around campus to increase your chance of winning.
West Virginia ASDA, 2020 Week of Service canned food challenge
Iowa ASDA, 2020 Week of Service canned food challenge
Sign the Pledge with Dental Lifeline Network
Dental Lifeline Network (DLN) is a national nonprofit dedicated to helping vulnerable adults receive comprehensive dental care.
Pledge to Volunteer once you graduate to see ONE adult with special needs (could be elderly, has a disability, or medically fragile condition) through DLN’s Donated Dental Services.
Sign the pledge between Jan. 25-31, 2021 and you will be entered to win one of 10 Oral-B electric toothbrushes ($130 value)!
Take one minute to sign the pledge.
This promotion is supported by DLN’s partner Guardian Life Insurance.